Webbanner-300x250 

The handling of your gas appliances is a serious business that requires Gas Safe registered engineers.  Two years ago, a gas fitter had burnt an electrical cable while soldering a gas pipe with a blowtorch. The gas fitter repaired it by taping it up. Three weeks later, the boiler exploded and left the 66-year old homeowner in Crumpsall in a coma for three months and the victim suffered 66 per cent burns caused by the explosion.

 

 

Also, did you know that there are about 400 incidents of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and between 40 to 50 deaths which have been caused by the colourless and odourless gas?

 

Make sure that your gas appliances are handled correctly!

 

Gas Safety Week (Sept. 14th-20th) is an annual safety week that aims to encourage people to take gas safety more seriously. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers that are legally allowed to work on gas in the UK.

 

 

Ensuring that your gas appliances are being taken care of by the right person means that you’re taking care of your family and loved ones. Follow these simple checks to know for sure:

 

  • Check your Landlord’s Gas Safety Record. By law, your landlord must keep supplied gas appliances in good condition. They should arrange a gas safety check every 12 months and give you a record of the check.
  • Check any gas appliances you own every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Set a reminder so you don’t forget at staygassafe.co.uk.
  • Check if your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
  • Check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work that you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
  • Check for warning signs that may show your appliances aren’t working correctly. Lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room are other indicators.
  • Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
  • Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.

 

For gas safety advice or to find and check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk. Alternatively call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.